Thursday, July 18, 2013

As we approach the end of an era, we must always remind ourselves to not over-muddle the mint

Yesterday was a Wednesday, group meeting day in the de Pablo research group. For six years, I have been attending and giving group meetings on Wednesdays at noon. Yesterday I gave my very last group meeting ever. It will not be the last time I present for them as I must still practice my defense and then actually defend but... I will never give the entire group an update on my research progress ever again. I'm not sure if I wanted to cry or shout so... I went to concert on the square and drank mojitos instead as this seemed the appropriate compromise. Who has time for that? The guy who spent all the previous night drinking coffee doing science does. Which brings me to my next point.

I do not like working on my dissertation. So I will make myself suffer until it is finished. Which it must be by July 29th. I will stay up every other night with no sleep until it is done. Working, of course. This will be both miserable and, I hope, productive. Who knows maybe I only need one or two of these intense, focused, all-night work sessions to bang out what's left? Or maybe it will go down to the wire.

I figure I'll be fine so long as I remind myself of Dr. Dan's suggestion, "Engage Gordo monster-mode!" He also said, "Modelers are the great satan."

Thanks, Dan :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! You're right, Gordie. It is the end of an era.

    I'm glad you like coffee. Dad and I are rooting for you to "git 'er done" (without expiring from a caffeine induced chocolatey sleep-deprived seizure.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordo in beast-mode is a helluva thing to see :-) we love you and we're rooting for you to be done after hopefully only a couple of the crazy intense all night sessions. X

    ReplyDelete