Monday, July 8, 2013

Music and running - busy weekend

Weekend was intense. I ran four times on Saturday for a grand total of 18 miles. 1.5 miles to Dan's house to watch TdF then 1.5 miles home. Then 7 miles before birthday string band gig out in Lake Mills. Then 8 miles before string band gig at Alchemy. I was hoping to get 20 miles in Saturday but I guess I am just glad I got as many miles in as I did. No rest for the weary fiddle player I guess.

Alchemy gig was awesome though. Always have sound problems there but this time we got it all sorted out quickly and had a blast laying down burners for a super attentive audience (relatively speaking). We were filling in for an established bluegrass band, the Oak Street Ramblers, so we got their crowd. Their crowd was awesome. We will fill in for them again next month too so hopefully more of the same.

Sunday was super disappointing. Day started off with another string band gig, this time at Monona Farmers Market. That was pretty fun though after limited sleep, it took me a full set to get into it. Afternoon I meant to get three hours of running in but instead I napped for FOUR hours. I guess it was pleasant but also a waste of a day. And then when I tried to run... I only made it 12 miles in 1:43 (slowest run of past few weeks that didn't involve a ton of hill action) before I called it quits. Unbelievable fatigue in my legs.

Now, this is important. Any other week and I take a couple minute breather, collect myself, and push on until I hit the full three hours. BUT, I have a race on Saturday and I need to be rested and fresh for that race. I felt that any gains I would make by pushing through the fatigue and finishing the run would be long-term and that the potential short-term tiredness that might result could be detrimental to my efforts to beat the field on Saturday. I don't know how true this is but it was my rationalization for cutting the workout short. Kind of lame, but here we are. All I care about right this moment is arriving at the start line on Saturday feeling light, fast, fresh, and mentally prepared for a long, challenging, fun day of running the bluffs of Devil's Lake.

Very excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment