Saturday, August 3, 2013

The rollercoaster

The last few weeks have been intense, to say the least. The last I posted, everything in the world was right as rain and only looking up. Well, as far as I can tell, that is still the case! But things go up and down faster than I can keep track and I have so much emotionally invested in so many things at the moment that my feeble mind has trouble keeping up from hour to hour.

On Friday July 26th, we got a rejection notice from PNAS. An editor took a look at our paper and decided he or she didn't like it. Or, rather, that he or she didn't think it warranted consideration for PNAS. This was frustrating as PNAS publishes a lot of articles and, depending on the editor, utter garbage gets through along with the really great articles that define the journal. I am not trying to suggesting that our paper was garbage but I do think it was both good enough and impactful enough to at least go to peer review. One unlucky editor draw later and here we are. We decided a giant F*ck You was in order so we are revising the manuscript and sending it to Nature Physics instead. Nothing like upping the ante and resubmitting to a Nature journal. Besides, cutting out more than half the words to make it fit the guidelines for Nat Phys has forced us to make our story more concise and the message, and its importance, easier to distill. So maybe the PNAS rejection was both warranted and a good outcome. We'll see.

Then on Monday, July 29th, I finished my dissertation and got it turned in to my committee!!! This was a big deal. And, for me, a moment of mixed emotions. Once I submitted my dissertation, all I could think was a mix of, "Oh My God, it's finally done," and "Oh My God, did I do enough?" I never thought I would experience postpartum depression but here we are.

What about running? Isn't this blog supposed to focus on running? My man, your work-life balance is all upended and work is coming out solidly ahead: what gives? Well the past few days I am trying to get back on the horse. Because I am registered for Pine to Palm 100 miler in the Siskiyou Mountains of southern OR on September 14th! So I need to get my fitness back as soon as possible and then work on improving it. The average elevation gain is approximately 50% more than Devil's Lake 50M three weeks ago and the distance is twice as much. Note to self: treat with respect.

The past five days then:
Tuesday: speed work with Tom Kaufman and gang - 3.5 mile warmup, 3x1600m (5:18, :17, :18) with 4:00 rest, 3 mile cool down
Wednesday: off (busy day and last concert on the square!)
Thursday: 5.6 miles at 7:18 (busy day, little time to fit run in)
Friday: 12.6 miles at 7:30
Saturday: 19.1 miles at 8:44 (this was supposed to be slow; not this slow, but slow)

Moving forward, I am focusing on hill work and long runs. And making sure I get speed and tempo runs in every week to keep my fitness and speed up.

More to come soon. There is a lot more happening in my rollercoaster life right now than just a lot of work and a few runs... music and musical friends are providing me with an amazing sendoff. Not just the going away show on the 14th, but 10 gigs in my last 14 days in Madison! And then all the other issues attending moving. Like... moving. Anyway, it is time to start thinking about my defense talk. And dinner. Maybe another long run tomorrow (shock and awe training regimen!) followed by a set the stringband is playing at a music festival out in Mineral Point, WI! Should be a good day!

Peace, world :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Gordie! Just got back from PEI (a record 13-hour-trip ... no dog to take to tinkle this time) and just want you to know that Dad and I are really happy that you made the July 29 deadline to hand things in.

    It sounds like your last weeks in Madison will be amazing. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete